Subotica and Palic – secession and wine

The City of Subotica is located on the north of the Republic of Serbia, along the main European corridors and between two rivers: the Danube and the Tisa. Rich cultural heritage assets, lavishly decorated buildings, multicultural spirit and European charm – these are the features that make this city distinctive. Subotica is known for its relaxed atmosphere, good food and quality wines. Festivals, events, concerts, vibrant cultural life all year long are a reason more to visit our city. On top of that, Subotica offers a lot of interesting places for rest and leisure, for activities around the lakes, on horse-farms, farmsteads, in forests and hunting areas.

Subotica was, for the first time, mentioned in written documents in 1391 as Zabatka. Since then it has changed more than 200 names. The most characteristic names were: Szent-Maria, Maria Theresiopolis, Maria Theresienstadt, Szabadka and Subotica. It became a settlement of greater significance after the Tatar conquests at the beginning of the 13th century. Then, those who had survived from the nearby villages were brought together at the strategically chosen place, the elevation then surrounded by water, on which the Franciscan church stands today. It was the ideal place for the people of the plain to defend themselves against the conquerors. For a long time, at the border of the two clashed powers, Hungarian and Turkish, the settlement did not grow. Subotica began to develop as a town only after it had lost its military significance. In 1779 Subotica got the status of the Free Royal City that brought greater autonomy and privileges to the town and also attracted entrepreneurs: craftsmen and traders from the Middle Europe.
In the second half of the 19th century, after the railway came to the town (1869), the trade of agricultural and cattle products abruptly developed. The industrialization came into the town at the end of the 19th century. Subotica became a modern Middle European city. After the WW I, Vojvodina provinces were united with the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians (Treaty of Triannon in 1920) and in 1929 Subotica was affiliated to the new state, the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Since then Subotica has not changed its name but the country has – five times. During the WW II, Subotica shared the ill-fate as the rest of the Europe. Reconstruction of the country and economic growth followed till the turbulent times in the 90s.

Palic, the lake and the settlement by the same name are 8 kilometres east of Subotica. Palić offers something new, unrepeatable and enriching at any season. Outstanding facilities from the beginning of the 20th century: the Water Tower, the Grand Terrace, the Women’s Lido and the Music Pavilion, the splendid park, the well-known lake, peace and silence make Palić an ideal space for rest and relaxation. Currently Palić provides high category hotels, regenerated luxury and comfortable villas in the so called “Palić style”, several lodgings and private boarding houses. Excellent restaurants and cafés, sport and recreational fields, three arranged beaches, a thermal pool, a Zoo, cycle lanes, walking paths, a set of versatile events, dynamic cultural life and entertainment possibilities and contents comprise the comprehensive offer of the Palić Tourist Centre.

 

BELGRADE – “New Berlin” and youth capital of south east Europe

Skadarlija in Belgrade

Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, is the third largest city in South-eastern Europe after Istanbul and Athens. Just over 1,700,000 people live in it. Belgrade is the city of youth. More than 40% of its citizens are between 15 and 44 years of age.

All citizens of Belgrade love to talk of the spirit of the city. Open and ever ready for fun, many Belgraders will claim to be true hedonists – and many of them really are – knowing all there is to know about good food, wine and music.

The citizens of Belgrade like all sorts of things: pleasant conversations and long walks, drinking their morning coffee or days off work, they also love it when they find freshly baked warm bread in the local bakery. They like being in motion and therefore the streets, walkways, cafes and restaurants are always filled with peeeople.
More importantly, Belgraders like everyone, so get to know Belgrade by getting to know Belgraders!

LOCATION

Belgrade is located in South-eastern Europe, on the Balkan Peninsula, at the crossroads of Eastern and Western Europe.

The city lies upon the Danube River, the aquatic route connecting the countries of Western and Middle Europe to the countries of the South-eastern and Eastern Europe. Its harbour is visited by ships from the Black Sea, and with the deployment of the Rhine-Main-Danube channel it found itself at the centre of the most important aquatic route in Europe: Northern Sea – Atlantic – Black Sea. Due to its position it was rightfully named “Gates of the Balkans” and the “Doors of Middle Europe”.

The area around Belgrade consists of two different environments: the Pannonian plain to the north and Šumadija to the south. The Kosmaj (628 m) and Avala (511 m) mountains are near Belgrade. The length of riverbanks is 200 km, with 16 river islands, the largest being Ada Ciganlija and the Great War Island.

HISTORY

Belgrade is a city with a tumultuous, but also frequently tragic past, primarily due to its unique position at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers, on the border between the East and the West.

Roads run through it and around it, used by invading warrior peoples conquering and destroying this city, rebuilding it and adding to it over and over. Belgrade has been permanently settled since the mid Neolithic period, the time when its area played host to the Vincian culture, more than 4,000 years B.C.E. The Greeks came later, followed by the Romans who pushed the Celts across the Sava and Danube rivers, installing their fourth legion, the Legio Flavia, at Singidunum. They built a mighty fort on the Kalemegdan ridge with a city next to it. From the Celtic dun and the Roman castrum the city grew into a significant border fortification of the Huns and then the Byzantine emperors Anastasius and Iustinianus, the Avars, Bulgars, Ugars, Serbs, Turks and Austrians, until it became the capital of modern Serbia during the 19th century.

The name Belgrade was first recorded in a letter on April 16, 878, when Pope John VIII notified the Bulgarian Emperor Mihail Boris that he had removed from office Sergi (“episcopus Belgradensis”) due to sinful living.
Belgrade had around ten names in the past. As each conqueror claimed it, they immediately changed its name, but the new name almost always spoke of its beauty and whiteness. It was called Belgrad, Bello Grado, Alba Urbs, Alba Graeca, Griechisch Weissenburg, Nándor Fehérvár, Nándor Alba, Castelbianco. All these names are translations of the Slavic word Beograd.

This city, living through and surviving numerous wars and destruction during the centuries, is one of the oldest cities in Europe, and thus had a number of symbolic names, such as: House of Winds, Combat Hill, Thinking Hill, House of Freedom…

It became the capital of the Serb medieval state during the reign of King Dragutin Nemanjić who married the princess Katerina and therefore received Belgrade, Mačva and Srem as dowry from the Hungarian king, as well as during the time of Despot Stefan Lazarević who, as the vassal of the Ugric king received Belgrade in his possession, along with a number of other large estates. Only in the 19th century, at the time of the First Serbian Uprising and subsequently, during the reign of Prince Miloš, from 1841 onwards, did Belgrade become the permanent capital of the Principality, and thereafter the Kingdom of Serbia. Following World War I, in 1918, it became the capital of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, and thereafter of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. After World War II it regained its position as the capital of the country of Yugoslavia that changed its name a number of times, only to become, once again and finally, the capital of Serbia.Belgrade gradually grew from an oriental town into a modern mid-European city during the 19th century. It had 25,178 residents and 3,444 houses at the time the Turks left Belgrade in 1867. The first electric light was switched on in Belgrade in 1882, while the first train took off towards Niš from the Belgrade railway station on August 23, 1884. The first cobbled road in Belgrade, made up of oaken cobbles, was laid down in 1886 in Kralja Petra I Street, between Knez Mihailova and the Cathedral Church. As the spring rains started to fall, shoots sprang forth from those cobbles, to the delight of the citizens of Belgrade.

The first horse-drawn tram was engaged on October 1, 1892. Water pipelines were installed in several streets in the city centre during the same year. The first telephone rang in 1890, while the first cinema projection was held in 1896, a mere six months after the first projection by the Lumière brothers in Paris.

Belgrade had a population of 50,000 citizens and grew into a true European capital during the early 20th century. Unfortunately, it was bombed and demolished during World War I, and the same occurred in World War II, when the Nazi Luftwaffe turned a large part of the city to dust and rubble in 1941. The cycle was repeated in 1944 when the allied Anglo-American air force repeatedly demolished large parts of the city in addition to the few remaining German military facilities. Unfortunately, another round of destruction, hopefully the last, occurred in 1999 when the NATO Alliance air force destroyed several tens of residential buildings, administrative, communal and production facilities, communications, etc. All of these bombings left behind a large number of human victims, dead, buried in the rubble or wounded.

Belgrade has more than 1,700,000 citizens today and is growing into a true metropolis. More than a quarter of the population of Serbia lives there today! The city is growing towards Šumadija, as well as towards Srem and Banat. It is becoming ever more beautiful, orderly and clean, but also increasingly frantic, since life in Belgrade is ever faster as it is in all big cities.

The makeup of the population of Belgrade often changed during the past centuries. People from all over the Balkans and central Europe moved to it, and many departed under their own volition or under duress, but those that remained became Belgraders within a generation and seldom abandoned it without pressing need.

Info: TOB

Cheerful regata 2017

Cheerful regata on the Ibar river will be organized on the 2nd July 2017. for the 28th time!
Cheerful regata (Veseli spust) is the oldest and most exciting rafting in Serbia. It goes from the medieval city Maglič to the city ofKraljevo, 25 km through the Ibarriver, with over 10.000 enthusiastic rafters participating in the most cheerful parade on Serbian waters!

Thousands of enthusiastic people on the river, euphoria, trumpeters, barbecue, songs and positive energy on the most imaginative boats made of wood, bottles, Styrofoam, car tires – these are the main features of this very traditional event on the water. Veselispust is an event to which you plan going in advance, for which you impatiently wait and in which you proudly take part. The number of participants is bigger and bigger every year!

It’s normal that more than 10.000 people take part in VeseliSpust and it’s going to be held whether it’s sunny with 40ºC or rainy outside. In Mataruškabanja, a lunch for all participants will be organized. Since 2012, Serbia4Youth takes young people from all over Serbia and abroad to have the best fun on Serbian waters.

In the evening of Veselispust, Kraljevo turns into a big stage where parties take place on every corner, at coffee places, gardens, clubs, by the river… In that weekend, Kraljevo doesn’t sleep!  You’ll see why! 😉

PROGRAM:

Sunday 2mnd July 2017
06:00 Gathering in Street IV Kraljevacki bataljon, in fron of the Kayak club, packing of equipment (boats) in tracks, geting into buses
07:00 Transportation to Maglic (start point of regata)
08:00 Start of the 27th Cheerful regata
09:30 Bogutovac – first break
11:00 Golden beach – second break
13:30 Mataruška spa – lunch
15:00 Continuation of regata
16:30 Arival in Kraljevo (finish)

Old city of Maglič

The city is located on the right side of the Ibar, on the top of a steep mountain. One of the theories says it was created in the 13th century, but many authors state that it comes from earlier than that.

Its stone walls are 2meterswide and, in total, 270 meters long.

The main dungeon tower is 20 meters tall and the other 7 towers are 12 meters tall. In the courtyard are located some ruins of the St. George church, of the palace of the Archbishop Danilo II, who founded a monastic school there. The fortress has also a militar character: it served as a protective barrier to the Ziče monastery and to the whole valley for centuries.

ORGANIZED TRANSFER FROM BELGRADE 2 DAYS, CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION

Nisville Jazz Festival

Nisville Jazz Festival Serbia

Nisville Jazz Festival

Nisville is an annual summer music festival in the Ancient Fortress of Niš, Serbia. From the festival’s very beginning, its concept has been based on presenting the ‘traditional’ jazz forms together with their fusion with the ethnic tradition from the different parts of the world, especially from the Balkans.

The jazz festival tradition in Niš, initiated in 1981, and terminated in 1991, was renewed at the end of 1994 thanks to the producer and economist who specializes in cultural management, Ivan Blagojević, theatre director by vocation. The first manifestation, entitled “International Nišville Jazz Festival” was held in January 1995. From the very beginning, in addition to the “more traditional” forms of jazz, the concept of the festival has primarily been founded on the fusion of this genre with ethnic traditions of various parts of the world, especially the Balkans, and the venue, with the exception of two editions, (owing to space rental issues) was the large hall of “Klub Vojske” (Army Club), with the capacity of 800 seats.

Ever since the start, the Festival has established cooperation with cultural centers and embassies of the United States of America, the Netherlands, France, Norway, Germany, whose musicians have significantly participated at this manifestation and the names of the participants increasingly became greater: Reggie Workmen, Jimmy Cobb, Philip Catherine, Aria Hendricks, Miles Griffith, Denise Jannah, Bemshie Shearer etc. Based on the ideas of Ivan Blagojević, Nišville has frequently had programs involving different musicians (who had often not been acquainted with one another by that time) forming the same bands, including the performance by Šaban Bajramović with jazz musicians from Serbia, Bulgaria and Germany, followed by the “ad hoc” ensemble whose main lineup was made up of musicians from the “triangle” of Serbia – Bulgaria – Macedonia: Vasil Hadžimanov, Teodosi Spasov and Toni Kitanovski (band which continued working after Nišville), and a special exclusive involved the only joint performance by the Queen and King of Romani music – Esma Redžepova and Šaban Bajramović.

In addition to the large hall of the “Army Club”, the Programs at the “Army Club” (which included a minimum of five bands per night of the festival) were also held on another stage (while the main stage was being prepared for the next band), in the hall of the Club, and the socializing between the audience and the musicians continued up to the early morning at jam sessions in Nišville Jazz Club.

The last edition in a closed area (and the late November term) proved that Nišville had fully completed their mission, as it had created (and, to a certain extent, educated) a very large audience, so the largest concert hall in Nis became too small to house all the interested parties, which was reflected in the fact that there was a lot of standing in a great number of programs, i.e. that the festival might have been attended by more than a thousand people per night.

The final edition in the hall of the Army Club was held in 2005, after which it was decided that the festival was to change the venue and the term. The fact that this was the right move was confirmed the following year and the first edition (mid-August) in one of the most beautiful, most acoustic and largest open amphitheaters in Europe – at the Summer stage in the Fortress of Nis, which practically initiated the new phase and the chronology of jazz events not only in the south of Serbia but also in this part of Europe.

The fact that there were (at least) three thousand visitors every night (which is the capacity of the venue) was simultaneously a practical confirmation of an “esthetic – physical” principle that the “jazz audience broadens according to the available space”.
The greater area enabled bringing even greater names, some of which included the following in the previous editions, from 2006 to 2008: Billy Cobham, Dr Donald Byrd, Incognito, The Brand New Heavies, Larry Coryell, Victor Bailey, Lenny White, Milčo Leviev, Nils Petter Molvaer, Duško Gojković, Rosenberg Trio, Gilles Peterson, Sidsel Endresen, Misterija bugarskih glasova etc. and Nišville practically immediately became the most frequently visited jazz festival in this part of Europe. Since 2009, Nišville has moved to the large empty grass plateau, also in the Fortress – where the complete structure is built and installed for each separate edition: stands for the audience, backstage, entrances etc.). In addition, there are two large stages, one beside the other, which include alternating performances (with the maximum reduction of breaks between performances) of the participants of the main program (six or seven per night). In addition to the main stage, the program is located on several other free stages at different points in the Fortress or Nis (Open Stage, Welcome Stage, Midnight Jam Stage), and by tradition, over the last few years, as a special introduction to the main program, a two-day and single-day free program entitled “Friends to Šaban” – a special homage to the King of Romani Music – has been held in the amphitheater at the quay next to the river Nišava – where the monument to Šaban Bajramović is located – erected at the initiative of Nišville Jazz Festival itself.

Nis, 18. avgusta 2014 - Nastup grupe "The Originally Blues Brothers Band" poslednje veceri "Nisville" Jazz Festivala. Jubilarni, dvadeseti po redu medjunarodni "Nisville" Jazz Festival odrzava se u naredih pet dana na sedam bina oko niske tvrdjave nastupice 560 izvodjaca iz 20 zemalja. FOTO TANJUG / DIMITRIJE NIKOLIC / bb
Nisville Jazz Festival Serbia Nisville Nisville-Jazz-festival-2014 Saban Bajramovic

Source: Nisville Jazz Festival